Today’s digital lifestyles have left us more sleep-deprived than ever. The consequences for patients—and the clinicians who treat them—are more far-reaching than most of us could ever imagine.
Dr Paul Reaney’s Dental Sleep Medicine course challenges dentists to examine their sleep patterns and experience the patient care pathway first hand with the Ectosense (ResMed) Night Owl digital home sleep test. Delegates will analyse and interpret their own test results during the course.
Dr Reaney demonstrates how clinicians and teams can implement the latest NICE guidelines on sleep-disordered breathing. The guidelines now define the role of dentists when providing care for patients who snore or have obstructive sleep apnoea (OSA) using mandibular advancement devices (MADs).
Training includes how to screen and clinically assess patients to decide whether to refer them to medical colleagues or treat them in the dental practice with a MAD.
Dental tech brand Envista will be present to assist in presenting Dr Reaney’s award-winning digital workflow, which combines 2D and 3D digital imaging, intra-oral scanning and digital recording of protruded bite registration. Impression techniques will also be discussed. Delegates will discover how to utilise these techniques to produce precision MADs from Panthera Dental and ProSomnus, who will also have representatives present during training.
What Is The Format Of The Course?
- Sleep Hygiene in dental practice
- Pathophysiology of Sleep Disordered Breathing (Snoring & OSA)
- Screening for SDB, including Home Sleep Tests
- Alternative therapies for Snoring and Mild OSA (Signifier Technologies eXciteOSA)
- Digital clinical workflow, including 2D & 3D imaging, intra-oral scanning and bite registration for a MAD (Envista Dental)
- Case scenarios
- Introduction to Panthera Dental and ProSomnus MADs
- Delivery and fitting of the Panthera and ProSomnus appliance
- MAD titration (adjustment for optimum therapeutic outcome)
- Avoiding failures and managing complications
- Long-term patient review
- Medicolegal compliance & dental sleep medicine
- Create awareness of how our natural sleep pattern has been disrupted by modern, digital lifestyles.
- Understand the consequences of sleep deprivation on mood, personality, relationships and physical and mental wellbeing
- Understand the importance of sleep hygiene and its links to dental hygiene
- Explain the NICE guidelines for the dental profession on sleep-disordered breathing (SDB), snoring and obstructive sleep apnoea
- Discover how to provide a recognised dental solution (mandibular advancement appliances) to treat sleep disorders.
- Develop a professional network with medical colleagues and when to refer for optimum patient care.
- Learn to identify the warning signs of SDB in children attending dental care.
- Understand the relevance of SDB to dental erosion, sleep-related bruxism, periodontal disease, implant-retained prostheses and orthodontic care.
Upcoming Course Dates
Meet the Lecturers
BDS. MFDS RCS(Eng). MFGDP(UK). DPDS. Dip PCOrth RCS(Eng). MDTFEd
Dr Paul Reaney is a dentist with a special interest in orthodontics whose clinic in Armagh, Northern Ireland, incorporates a dental sleep medicine clinic.
Paul is accredited to the European Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine, is a committee member of the Irish Society of Dental Sleep Medicine, and is the only UK clinician to sit on the ResMed Narval advisory board.
He is a prolific UK and international lecturer on the subject of dental sleep medicine